News Release January 15, 2013
Blood Donors and Community Partners to be Honored by Bonfils Blood Center
Denver, Colo (Jan. 15, 2013) – Bonfils Blood Center, in celebration of National Blood Donor Month will host its annual community partner appreciation reception on the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service, Monday, Jan. 21 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Donald R. Seawell Ballroom at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts.
“This event is a time for us to recognize hundreds of blood, marrow/stem cell donors, financial contributors, blood drive host organization, volunteers and community partners who have helped our organization grow and thrive for the last 70 years, “ says Vice President of Marketing and Community Outreach, Jessica Maitland. “As we celebrate our 70th anniversary, we want our supporters to know how much they’re appreciated.”
In addition to the recognizing supporters, attendees will hear from Dr. Comilla Sasson who was one of two doctors working in the Emergency Department at the University of Colorado Hospital the night of the Aurora theater shooting.
Six special awards will be given at the reception to the following members of the Bonfils community who went above and beyond to support the blood center’s mission to save and enhance lives in 2012:
- Dr. Ben Galloway Community Partner Award – Presented to the Colorado Mammoth for their partnership of Bonfils’ High School Heroes program which encourages Colorado’s youth to help make a difference in their communities by donating blood.
- Colorado Marrow Donor Program Outstanding Partner Award – Presented to the University of Wyoming and Alpha Epsilon Delta for a partnership that has contributed to increased public awareness and participation in Bonfils’ Colorado Marrow Donor Program.
- Outstanding Foundation Partner Award – Presented to the Community Health Charities of Colorado for a decade of continued, loyal and generous financial contributions benefitting the blood center.
- Outstanding Blood Drive Performance Award – Presented to the Parker Arts, Culture & Events Center for hosting an impressive 21 drives that have collected nearly 1,000 units of blood and saved nearly 3,000 lives in two years.
- Volunteer Liaison of the Year Award – Presented to Bunny Taylor and Mike Garcia for their leadership and support in coordinating the Tommy Taylor Replenishment Drive.
- Volunteer of the Year Award – Presented to John Beattie for his decade of service involving the Denver Area Council Scout Show community blood drive as well as being a 12-gallon donor himself.
2013 marks the 70th anniversary of Bonfils Blood Center’s presence in this community as one of Colorado’s top nonprofit healthcare organizations. Through seven decades of service, we’re proud to have become a trusted community resource and source of hope for those in their time of need as well as an outlet for our neighbors wanting to give back through blood, marrow and financial donations. In order to meet the needs of the nearly 200 healthcare facilities we serve and to be prepared for unexpected events Bonfils must collect more than 3,000 blood donations each week. For information about Bonfils Blood Center please call 303.366.2000 or visit www.bonfils.org or look for us on Facebook and Twitter.